Houston Shell Open: Weekend Preview
For updated leaderboard, click here.
Houston’s Shell Open has a terrific pre-Masters field and here are the storylines heading into the weekend.
- I may be the worst prognosticator in the history of sports. Y.E. Yang, my pick to win, has been arguably the worst player in the field and ended T139. 139? How can that even be possible on a course playing this easy? Simple. I picked him.
- It’s amazing how some golfers just respond to certain courses. Last year’s champion Anthony Kim was masterful Friday, surging to a lead with a 64.
- Padraig Harrington, my favorite player on tour, has disappeared from the top of the leaderboard since an insane swing change following back-to-back majors in 2008. He’s putting the hell out of the ball and peaking at the right time.
- Mickelson, Westwood and Francesco Molinari each delivered solid starts and all three sit within striking distance at -4.
- I have been thinking for weeks about picking Matt Kuchar to win at Augusta but he looked like he wouldn’t make the cut halfway through his round today. A strong weekend performance should propel him to a solid Masters.
- The season’s trend of out-of-nowhere winners is looking sturdy Chris Kirk leads with Johnson Wagner and Josh Teater right behind.